Wednesday, January 12, 2011

P.D.A.

Touch is so important!  It says "I care."  At my past 2 jobs there was nothing I enjoyed more than getting a hug from a child!  I consider myself to be a touchy-feely person but have to admit I had to make an effort to remember hugs.  From what I've seen so far over here things are a bit different.  I thought I was going to get the biggest bear hug from one of my kindergarten kids; I even braced myself for his jump into my arms-he was running-and he stopped just feet in front of me:(:(:(  I didn't get my hug.  Over the summer I saw some of the kindergartners and they gave me hugs.  Today I told one of the students at the English School I thought she was going to give me a hug,  I have a nametag I have t wear at school and it was on my back me and she went to put it on my front, and then started to give her a hug and it took her awhile.  Of course that may have been because she didn't understand what I said.  I don't see public displays of affection here and hugging is rare.  Of course in saying that the way you greet someone if it's been awhile since you've seen each other is to kiss each other on either cheek and you kind of have to hug then.  Women walk down the street all the time arm and arm or holding hands, but more arm in arm.  That happens in the states but it's rare and  if members of the same gender hold hands or walk arm in arm people jump to conclusions and assume it's a homosexual thing.  I see this as more of just something you do rather than a "I love you" kind of thing though.  Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the opinion I get.  THe other day, ok maybe a month ago, we were having unusually nice weather and some of the boys were outside playing a game and having so much fun.  The boy who started things off bent at the waist and propped himself with his hands against a tree while other boys ran and jumped on his back and this continued until no one else could fit!  I thought to myself that game would never happen in the states because of the way it looked.  THey were having so much fun; it is obvious nothing about it looking funny crossed their minds!  I hug the teachers when they make me happy.  ( that sentance sounded funny, sorry)  For instance my language tutor has all but quit smoking and I asked her about it today.  She said she has 3-4 over the weekends but that's it and I gave her a big hug.  Speaking of hugs!  Hugs go out to all of you as well as my love!!!  Thinking of my sister's family!!    Almost time for dinner so I'm going to close!  chao!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I have a question for you. Since Glod is primarily a Muslim community, are there adult men who won't shake your hand or touch you? In Mauritania, some very conservative Muslims would not touch someone of the opposite sex even if it's a handshake or sitting next to them in a public taxi. I had some Arab women not wanting to shake my hand, etc. However Arab men sometimes wanted to hold my hand as a sign of friendship. Talk about cultural misunderstandings! I'm not sure if I ever was comfortable with this nonverbal behavior, even at the end of two years.

    ReplyDelete