Wednesday, August 25, 2010

my experience

one of the things my aunt asked me was if there was anything i could compare my experience to that would give you all an idea what it's like over here and all around.  i have to say since i'm a little older now than when i went to the dominican republic in college my experience feels a little different.  i'm older and can rely on myself more.  but still i'd have to say it's a blind leap of faith, the 1st 3 months especially!  a person has to place total trust in complete strangers to care for them and have their best interests in mind. i'm talking about the host family.  yes the pc checks everything out and makes sure the families that sign up for a volunteer have the necessary things needed to host but still i'm sure there are times when things happen that don't go according to plan.  just like when i was in college i have an organization behind me, ready to back me up and help with whatever.  but i'm the one living day to day with the family.  for me it's believing in God that helps me and is why i'm able to do this.  think about it.  a person is lumped in with 80+, in my group that is, other volunteers that chances are you  have never seen before.  getting along isn't a question, it's a must!  the little petty differences btwn certain people have to be put on the backburner.  it's kinda like you jump from the first impressions to depending on that person for  a part of your survival!  now that i'm finished with pst and out on my own it's different but it's not.  it's all up to me and it's still a blind leap of faith.  face it, i can always go to a store and point to something i want/need and can be understood, but whose to say the person behind the cash register is going to be honest and take the right amount of money when i hold out my money if i didn't have words?  for me to know that there are 200+ volunteers in B that i can ask for help if i happen upon them is so comforting!  the majority of the volunteers have never seen each other before but won't hesitate to help me if happen to be in their neck of the woods.  we're a united group in an, more or less, unfamiliar country, speaking an unfamiliar language, with unfamiliar people who we have to depend on for certain things.  for instance the outlets in my apt didn't work the other day.  i have to depend on someone i've known for a month to fix the problem correctly.  all of the above worked very well for me!  i'm surrounded by very kind and generous people who have taken me in.  not sure if i'm one of their own yet but i need to earn that!  i have wonderful neighbors and a very awesome counterpart!  i have been invied ha ghosti countless times and have been given more food than i know what to do with and have had to learn to make compot and conserve b/c of all my extra food!  i don't know what the next 2 yrs have in store for me but if i leave Bulgaria with as much as has been "given" me I'll be surprised!  my blind leap has worked out very well for me so far!  i was blessed to have a wonderful family during pst and a great site, where i am now!  i would do it over again in a heartbeat!  and i must add that it helps a whole lot to have you all behind me affirming me in what i'm doing and supporting me with letters, etc.now while we're on the sub please excuse me for today; i have a package to go pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment