Wednesday, August 18, 2010

unprepared

yest was kinda a busier day and i didn't have time to blog, sorry, but now have plenty to blog about.  i woke up yest to find my sink with quite a bit of a leak. long story short i went to my B lesson by myself and Nargis stayed at my place b/c Bysale, a man who works at the school and will be my handyman these 2 yrs and is going to show me how to make honey, was not done with my sink.  so my lesson is kinda wrapping up when i get a txt from Nargis telling me to hurry and come home b/c we have to go and meet with the Mayor.  the Mayor.  i'd met him before during my site visit to G.  i asked her why and she had no idea.  so i get my "A" game ready and go to visit the Mayor.  we walked in the office and there were 3 more men sitting around the table.  i'm happy Nargis is here to help me and can translate for me but i was especially glad she was with me!  whe explained to me that these men (basically) have land in G and have people work for them on the land and asked what they can do to help me.  talk about being blindsided!  i don't care where you are and what the culture is like, it's not good to waste important people's(really anyone for that mater) time!  here i was sitting in front of 4 people who i know can help me with something i just need to know what that something is! then in came another man, the head of the police from Betobo.  him i guess i was more  prepared for although i couldn't think of any questions for him either,  so he leaves and that leaves Nargis and i sitting with these 3 men and the mayor like bumps on logs while i struggle to think of things to ask them.  then to add to the already smoldering fire when things are kinda wrapping up and i think i've saved face a little, as long as i turn everything around to youth then i feel like something has been accomplished,, hes secretary brings in coffee and tea for me.  this is the custom and is great...except for the fact when it's really hot and a full mug AND it sounds like the mayor has other things to do.  when I can notice that, and B is not my first language and i'm not even comfortable with the lang fully, then it's really time to go!  but i have a full mag of tea and can't drink it fast b/c it's hot.  in this situation i should really start drinking coffee i think...the cups are smaller!  anyway i finished and we excused ourselves and i vented, in english, to Nargis all the way home about how unprepared i was for that and hope they are glad i'm here b/c at times like that i don't feel like i'm "doing my job."  and i really don't care how many times she tells me not to worry about it and how the mayor was unprepared too and all that I need to feel good about it.  it's not in my nature to , pardon the french, "half' ass" things and that's what i feel like i did.  it's at times like yest when i really need to remind myself that b/c i now have a "family" in varshetts coming here has been worth it and if nothing else happens i can feel satisfied!  the BIG picture is important on days like yest!  those of you that know me better know i'm a quote lover.  i made myself a small poster with some of the more important reasons we're here and look at it every day when i'm getting ready:  world peace and friendships, sustainable development, relationships, people to people contact, and i also have what JFK said about the corps when he 1st created it, how we're at the same level as the local people, eat their food, and need to be prepared for conditions of hardship if necessary.  so after a minor pity party, it was about 3 and neither one of us had eaten, we went home and Nargis had informed earlier in the day I was going to be the host for a ghosti later at around 6, ok that means i was going to be visited by Bisale's wife and Nargis.  i have to say i was kind of excited!  the first visitors in my apt besides Nargis and her family and they never have anything to drink when they're here which is kinda what you do when you go na ghosti.  i did my dishes. swept my floor, and got my food out.  i also started the digital frame, dad and ronni-thanks, i have with the chip of family ron made for me to bring over.  i think it went well!  i did the whole "what do you want to drink" thing and had snacky type things to eat.  sunflower seeds are big here.  i haven't quite learned the trick of how to eat them yet.  they don't eat the whole seed and they spit out the shell.  i haven't learned how to seperate the shell from the seed yet but have been assured in 2 yrs i'll learn!  i think that's about all i had for today and actually already have an idea for tom's blog so am ahead of the game!  i got mail yest and have to thank all of you for being behind me and writing!  i'm starting to decorated the wall by my desk with pictures from maya, charlotte, jack, and jill.  thanks guys!  oh one more  thing.  the lady in the post office yest told me i needed to get married and have a family.  it's even over here in B!  have a great wed!  did the fever win!

2 comments:

  1. the post was very william faulkner-ish. Ronni will know what this means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. Your meeting with the mayor and his entourage is typical protocol in many traditional countries throughout the world. You meet with officials, exchange some warm pleasantries, discuss some 'official business', and are finally served tea or coffee. This is also common throughout all of West Africa too. I think you have to roll with the punches a bit because their style of meetings is different than the US. Don't let it stress you out so much. :) It seems like things are happening for you there in G and you are settling in now. All the best. Take care.

    p.s. We eat the sunflowers seeds and spit out the shells too in the US. I guess you never ate them back in the states?

    ReplyDelete