Tuesday, August 23, 2011

doing the potty dance

I've written several times in my blogs that jobs are a little hard to come by here.  While that is true there are some jobs here that we don't have in the states, or if we do I'm not aware of them or they aren't very prevalent.  One of them is a bathroom attendant.  I remember one time when I was in high school and my youth group from church was having a fundraiser for one reason on another.  One of the things we did to raise more money  was have a "pee fee."  We just put a sign up on both the men's and women's restrooms stating the amount and put a collection box by the door.  Over here unless you happen to be in an airport, hotel, restaurant, or any other more public place (not counting bus/train stations) it's going to cost you to use the toilet.  Not much, maybe 30 or 40 stutinkie (like our cents) but sometimes it's totally worth it!  Not only does this person sit and collect money, they also give you toilet paper.  Also over here you have to assume there's no toilet paper in the toilets (the bathroom, banya, is a place with the sink, the toilet, toiletna,is the place with the toilet) which is usually he case.  But the price comes with toilet paper, as well as a very appreciative bladder!  During our PST we were told to carry toilet paper with us just in case.  Another important fact, the toilet paper doesn't go in the toilet, it goes in the waste basket beside the toilet.  I'll stop right there on that one.  So that's one job that people can have in B.  It's another hot day here, like 34*C.  Yesterday I think I set a record for cups of coffee, yes that's right-coffee, in a day.  Now the cups aren't that big and when I say a cup I'm talking about maybe 1 and 1/2 dixie cups.  When I was headed back from the market I ran into some people I had met the previous Monday and they called me over and asked me to have coffee, so I did (#1).  Then yesterday afternoon, this was something I really enjoyed and I felt good about, I went back and to that same spot and talked with some of the same people and again was treated to coffee (#2).  I, literally, just finished that cup when another guy from the morning came to talk with us and he gave me a cup (#3).  That's kinda what you do here though!  That last cup was probably at 4:15 pm; when I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep at, most likely, 12-1am I couldn't help but wonder if that was part of the reason.  Of course the fact that I live above a bar has nothing to do with it I'm sure!  Love and hugs from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment