Tuesday, August 2, 2011

May 6th

Another day that is important here in B is May 6th.  This day is called "Gergovden" and it is a combination of the male name "Georgi" and "den” which means day.  This is an old B holiday.  According to Orthodox Christionity saint Georgi Pobedonosetz is the protector of the army.  In old times people celebrated by decorating the town/village/city with green flowers and wreathes, played games, and make swings for young women.  The most important thing was to roast a lamb.  The soldiers and officers also organized a parade and sanctified the soldiers’ flag.  Today, anyone with the names “Georgi” or “Gergana” celebrates because they have a name day on this day.  If you have a friend with one of these names you have to wish them “happy name day."  This is also a day you can go "gosti", visit them, and give a little gift if you want.   If you have a colleague with one of these names you have to collect some money and buy a little gift for them and they will treat everyone to chocolates and drinks.  The B army organizes a parade and the B patriarch will sanctify the flag.  As far as I can remember the only person I know named Georgi is one of my PST site-mates' host father and I didn't even know him all that well.  Speaking of my PST site, I'm going back there this Thursday until next Monday.  The town has their town holiday and I wasn't able to attend last year because I wasn't able to travel.  This summer I can and look forward to seeing my host family again!  It's funny to think that when it came to meeting them I was pretty unsure, not nervous that much but unsure, and now they are family!  So if I forget to tell you all I'm going to have to take another "blog break" after tomorrow until next Tuesday.  This is my actual summer vacation!!!  h, and again thanks goes out to Ivan Hristov, Dani Adamova, and Brian Fassett for this information out of the book Bulgarian Language and Traditions- part 1.  I almost forgot, Love and hugs from here!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you go visit Turkey before the end of your service. I heard it's an amazing place to visit.

    ReplyDelete