Friday, August 12, 2011

"Look ma! No hands!"

I saw something while in Varshets that reminded me of the a time when I was a child.  I'm sure most people reading this remember learning to ride a 2 wheeled bike.  I have some pretty interesting stories that I don't think I'll share here! Let's just say that if there was an obstacle in my way, I was attracted to it.  NOT around it, past it, or by it; TO it!    Including bodies of water and especially things much igger than me!  Anyway, learning how to ride without training wheels is like a rite of passage for kids.  My parents worked and worked with me, and I'm sure got pretty frustrated at times, because, I'm kind of assuming here because I don't really remember, unlike my younger sister I was not blessed with the "third time's the charm" ability, my gift is more like "try and try again and when that doesn't work, try again."  (Love you Steph!)  No matter who teaches you, a sibling, your parents, grandparents, or someone other than family, it's something that every child goes through.  So this past Saturday night was the night for the traditional horos, the dances in B that the majority of the people here "just know," kinda like riding a bike.  There I was with my host mother and sister and her friend ready to do some dancing(yes I dance!) when out of the corner of my eye I see a baba at the end of our line with her grandkids.  She was teaching them how to horo!  Like learning to ride a 2 wheeled bike is passed from adults to their children, learning the different horos is passed from adults to children here.   It was interesting for me to see and I did immediatlu think of the times when my parents worked with me so diligently, thinking that "maybe this time she'll get it."  Of course after a few moments of "look at them!  That's so cute" (to myself) I had to stop concentrating on them and start concentrating on what I was doing so I would not step on anyone's feet!  When you think about it, I'm kind of in the same boat as they are, just years older.  The rain the other night and part of the day cooled things down and it's not quite as hot as it was.  In fact this morning, ok-11:00 is  not really morning, when I saw my neighbors downstairs and went to talk to them, Ivan put his jacket around me because he thought it was a little chilly and I had on short sleeves.  How nice!  I just had some students over to make rainsticks.  It was about 12:30 and so I asked them if they wanted some macaroni and cheese (and it wasn't just because I wanted some!)and they said they would eat some and so we had mac-n-cheese.  The rainsticks didn't quite turn out as I would have hoped but they work, it sounds like rain!  I tried something different for the blog comments so could I ask someone to comment please so I can see if it works?  Love and hugs from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment