Thursday, August 18, 2011

the thief of peaches

I am so sorry!  I totally spaced my blog yesterday and then when I did remember it was too late!  I almost did the same today!  I was looking over the topics I have written down to blog about and nothing really stood out for today's blog but I got another idea just now talking to Nargis.  This is something we, ok I guess I can't generalize, I haven't thought about until now.  The reason I notice it now is because I am reading a book in B.  Every year my tutor, who is also the literature teacher at our school, gives books to students in certain grades to read over the summer.  She gave me the book that she gives to the 8th graders.  I have been gone and doing other things I haven't gotten around to starting to read it but opened it the other night.  Out of maybe 2-3 nights of reading I am proud to say I have read...... (drumroll please).........a total of 4.......paragraphs.  I have a longer list of words I have looked up then the actual paragraphs takes up space in the book!  But everyone tells me it's a great book, and I want to prove to my tutor I can do it, so I will continue at this pace of reading 4 words and looking up a word and so on.   So as I was reading and noticing how many different words Emiliyan Stanev uses that mean exactly the same thing I started to think about English novels...and how WE do the exact same thing!  Do English authors use the word "cold" everytime they want to convey that feeling?  No, they use "brisk" or "chilly" or "freezing" or other descriptive words that aren't coming to my mind right now.  Depending on the mood the author wants to create and the feelings they want to convey, the word choice varies.  I'm sure authors don't consider  "well someone who wants to learn English will be reading this book so to make it easier for them I'll stick with the word 'cold' throughout the book."  It would be so much easier for a reader who is learning the language but, let's face it, BORING!!!   Take the words "raining" and "misting."  Both words mean water is coming from the sky.  When I think of "raining" I think of staying inside because, well, who really wants to go out in the rain if they don't have to? (I said IN the rain, not AFTER...who didn't love to jump in puddles when they were younger?)  When I think of "misting" I get the feeling of dampness, being in a hurry so you don't get too wet; I think of outside.  2 words, same meaning, 2 different feelings conveyed.   I understand the authors point of view of choosing different words for different situations, I'd do the same thing, but it sure doesn't do any favors for those readers trying to learn the language!  Tonight, paragraph #5...and it's a long one!  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment