Tuesday, August 9, 2011

going home...pst home

So I got back last night from visiting my (host) family in Varshets.  It brought back many memories of my time there, being with my training group, how hard we worked, and our teacher Toni.  She was away from her family for 10 wks so that we could get a good start (the more that people tell me that my B is good for only being here 1 year the more I think I owe lots  of the credit to her) on the language and to begin to feel comfortable in this (not so) foreign culture.  I thought I was going back for their town holiday, the day Varshets became a town.  I was wrong.  This whole last week was the festival of the water and the Balkans, or the Stara Planina mountain range.  I'm not exactly sure what all that means but they partied!  There were political people from the municipality there, sports stars, and tv stars.  I have to say my favorite night was Saturday night!  That was the night of the traditional dances (more on that later!) and I'm really beginning to love this part of being here!  Of course some of my volunteer friends go to competitions with their town dance group or have special classes on traditional dances.   I don't and that's fine by me; I've got plenty of teachers!  I would not do this blog justice if I did not mention my friend Jez who taught me one of the dances, it's Greek-but still, in the airport in Rome while waiting for our flight to go see her sister this past Christmas.  I'm sure we got quite a few stares!  Now, we were all in the sea of people dancing in the street, basically, but on the stage there were dance groups who know more what they're doing and, I'll speak for myself here, dance much better then I could ever dream of dancing!  Everyone in our little group was tired from dancing after several dances (this is where I can tell that I've been working out.  Not much by any means but I have to say when they were clutching thier chests breathing heavy and saying "I have to stop"  I was eager to begin another dance!)  and we left...WITHOUT having danced the Bella Rosa, much to my disappointment.  The next night was singing.  The whole week, I only experienced Fri, Sat, and Sunday, was full of different events and people selling things from t-shirts to candy and everything in between were all over the center (the center is basically just that, the center of the town with shops and a walking area where there are no cars).   2 of my pst sitemates were there also and I got to spend some time with them which was nice.  We went and had drinks at the very place Naoma, another sitemate, and I ordered our first meal to practice ordering.  New magazines, shops, have opened up which is good to see!  I had an awesome time the short time I got to spend there with them and have to thank them for everything once again!  I almost forgot!  One night I was in the car with Dani, host mom, and wondered aloud what time it was...IN BULGARIAN!  Dani reminded me that I just thought in B and I have to say I didn't believe her at first and had to ask her several times if I really said "what time is it" outloud to myself in B.  I was so excited I called my tutor a few minutes after that to tell her that I thought it B, something she told me I had to do several months ago.  That's all for today I think!  Love and hugs from here!  Everyone go out and have a nice glass of wine or beer or mixed drink for me, except if you're underage!  Better yet, a nice and big piece of cake or pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment