Tuesday, August 16, 2011

like the birds

My parents, or at least 2 of the 4 of them, don't appreciate the cold and snowy Indiana winters.  I admit the ice is a pain.  Of course now that I'm here my dislike of ice has only grown!  Anyway every year in the fall they leave Indiana and do like the birds do; "head South for the winter."  Of course they make trips back and forth from Florida to Indiana during the wintrer but to escape the harsh, some years, Indiana winters they head where it's warmer, down south.  That's not the case here like it is in the states.  Here the more south you go the colder it gets.  Why you ask?  The answer to that is because of a little thing called the Start Planina mountain range, referred to as the Balkans quite a bit, and even further south are the Rodopes, another mountain range.  The Balkans divide B into north and south, they stretch the length of B; from Serbia to the Black Sea.  Since I'm up north, pretty much anywhere I go, unless it's mid summer and it tends to be hot all over, I can expect it to be cooler.  A couple wks ago in Varshets one of my volunteer friends forgot this fact, so did I but I wasn't planning on wearing shorts or skirts anyway,  and was kinda chilly.  Not sure how else to elaborate on this just to say that, living in the north where it is generally warmer, if I get cold...I'm in trouble!  There's no where for me to go (ok yes I can go to someone's house that has a wood burning stove but that's not my point) and I won't be visiting my parents in Florida at least for another year!  Well, it's time for a hair cut (it may be a few days before I actually make it to the "freezyor") and I have to go pay my water bill this afternoon.  Love and hugs from here!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa. Is anyone in your town doing Ramadan (fasting) now? If so, I think this could be another topic to discuss.

    ReplyDelete