Monday, August 22, 2011

"Hey you! Come here!"

Say you're walking down the street and see a friend of yours and would like to chat with them (in the states).  You proobably yell for them to come see you, something that's not done here, and maybe motion with your hand while yelling.  Ok, take that hand motion and do it upside down and a little sideways, so your arms are making a "sweeping the street" motion instead of pulling the air to your face motion.  When someone wants to get my attention, or anyone else's, they make that motion.  It took me a good while to get used to it, I still hesitate, but that's what I see when someone wants to get my attention.  To me I think of "shooing" someone away instead of "come here" when I see that but am used to it now.  I can't remember who I was with the first time I saw that but I do remember being confused, in fact I think I started to leave and that person had to call me back!  Of course the hand motion is accompanied with "ella!" which means "come here" but it still was confusing at first for me, like getting a mixed message.  I was thinking "here they SAY come here but MOTION for me to go away.  That's not it at all!  Like the head nods "yes" and "no," the B way is backwards from the states way,  or the states way is backwards from the B way; whichever you prefer.  Being  Monday, it's market day.  So I went and bought 2 tomatoes (I still have some from Meliyan's baba),  3 cuccumbers, a bunch of bananas, some carrots, and peaches to make compot, to can, with my neighbor's help.  When I got back from the market I had 7 tomatoes, 5 cuccumbers, the bananas, the carros, the peaches, a watermelon, and some peppers.  I know everyone is cleaning out their garden but I think it's nice they think of me!  This afternoon I'm going to play "Connect 4" with a bunch of men who sit in front of the Mayor's office speaking Turkish and doing nothing.  We'll see if they like it!  Sugarland, Maroon 5, and Train; God bless you for caring so much about Indiana!  (Yes I know the bands are NOT reading this but still)  Love and hugs from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment