Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm hungry!

So, you're sitting at home, in the states, and want to snack on something.  Maybe chips, crackers, nuts, or raisins.  When my sister and I were younger after school for our snack sometimes we ate pickles (my sister had some other interesting snack options!).  Maybe an apple or some carrots.  Over here I've learned that the first snacky food item people turn to are sunflower seeds, and over here they have the shell and all.  Nargis, my counterpart, and I like to go for walks, when her daughter lets her out of the house unaccompanied and I don't have anything else that demands my time right at that time.  Not long after we have started walking does she pull out a bag of sunflower seeds, open it, and offer some to me.  When it comes to eating them I don't quite have the knack yet!  Most people can put the whole seed in their mouth, after they crack the shell with their front teeth, and then spit the shell out while keeping the inside part to eat.  I do not have a Bulgarian sunflower eating tongue.  I have found one brand, they are thicker, that I can crack with my front teeth but then I have to open the seeds with my fingers.  When you go gosti there are usually sunflower seeds, in addition to cookies and other things to eat and drink.  Back in May when we went to the Bulgarian version of the Indy 500, kind of, we all sat down and out came the sunflower seeds.  They are one of those items that could definitely be sold in bulk because everyone goes through them so fast!  I haven't quite gotten into the sunflower craze yet but usually have some around.  A couple months ago I went to hang out with my good friend Jez and a friend of hers from her school.  We went on a hike and then, towards the end, got tea and coffee at a little cafe.  We sat down and before I knew it Jez had pulled out sunflower seeds!  They are everywhere and a very popular snack!  Sometimes people don't worry about the bag and just stuff a handfull in their pockets!  I'm learning!  I'll talk to you all next Tuesday, that's the plan, after my visit with my host family.  Love and hugs from me to you!

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie (the sister)Thu Aug 04, 01:32:00 AM 2011

    in case you guys were wondering my snack choices were: whole heads of celery, powdered tang eaten with a spoon, marshmallows, heads of iceberg lettuce... pretty random. When your mom doesn't let you buy sugar cereal, or anything else sugary for that matter, you get pretty desperate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can show you how to properly eat sunflower seeds in the shell someday, if you don't learn how to do so by the end of your service. I'm surprised you don't remember Chris Waltner (him mostly) and I eating sunflower seeds in the shell at GC.

    ReplyDelete