Thursday, August 11, 2011

my dyado

My dyado, grandpa, from my family in Varshets died this past December or January.  My parents from the states and I had just spent time with him when they came to visit last October and it was hard for me to believe he passed away because he seemed fine!  So when I visited my host parents in Varshets the beginning of August and they went to his graveside and asked if I wanted to go along I decided to go with them.  The plots are just like in the states with cement headstones with the person's name and birthdate and when they died.  The plots come with a chest high aluminum or metal table with the width of 2 2x4's and about 20 inches long (I'm guessing and I'm not very good at measurments).  When we got to the graeyard the table was covered with a "tablecloth" and all kinds of food was put on it.  Fish, banitza, zucchini, salad, a  banana, fresh bread, and other food I have forgotten.  Then my baba, grandma, started putting some of everything on a plate and then put the plate of food on his grave.  There was also a little holder to put candles and like an incense "cup.  A candle was put in the cup to light it on fire and then my baba made tiny circles in the air with the cup over his grave and over the food that was breakfast.  After each completed circle they crossed themselved like they do in the Catholic church.  Thinking about it now I'm not sure if they went to the left shoulder or right one first.  From what I remember the Greek Orth. church does this too but the opposite side first than the Catholic church.  So when we enjoyed our breakfast, he also had a plate of food.  It is also customary to bring a small bottle of water and a small plastic bottle of wine to the graveside.  Again it's the same idea, when you take a drink you also pour some of the liquid on the grave.  My family had water and wine but also beer, a carbonated lemonade drink, and of course rakea.  I was encouraged to light a candle and drink and then to pour a little of the beverage on his grave.  Here I am thinking "it's 10 on a Saturday morning and I'm drinking rakea and beer with my family" and trying to eat enough that the little bit of alcohol doesn't go to my head this early in the morning; rakea is pretty potent stuff!  Since the graveyard is kinda just out in the open and not in a more formal, set-aside place like in the states there is no one who really works there.  Because of this out in the open area situation, and the fact that B has many animals just roaming free, many families put up a gated area around their graves, no one wants cattle grazing on the weeds closeby their loved one or, worse yet, a dog to...I'll let you finish that thought.  Every Saturday morning my baba, host parents, and my aunt do this same thing.  After we finished and packed up everything my baba washed the marble(?) walkway around his grave with water.  I thank them for letting me see this tradition!  As I sit here typing this I think the rain has stopped.  It started raining, not a downpour the whole time, yesterday at about 5pm and continued all night, at least it was raining when I went to bed and when I got up this morning.  The rain helped to cool things down a bit and that is a welcomed relief!  Love and hugs from me to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment